'Raise'-ing the Bar for 2018

 I must admit, I struggled to motivate myself to get out of bed at 6:00 am on the first Sunday morning of the new year. It was still pitch black outside and my car was covered in a thick frost. It was going to be a cold one...


Winter Sun
After a quick brew & breakfast, defrosting the car, and setting the heater to 'full whack', I set off up the M6 towards Ullswater. Turning off at Penrith, I headed south along the shoreline of the lake just as the sun was starting to rise. Heading towards Glenridding this way takes you from the low rolling hills & fields around Pooley Bridge, into the jaws of the Patterdale valley, surrounded by the foot hills of the Helvellyn and High Street mountain ranges.
Setting off from the Lake District National Park 'Pay When You Leave' car park in the centre of Glenridding, the start of my path took me along the road to the old Greendale Lead & Silver Mine, which was now a Youth Hostel & Outdoors Centre, but too start with, I wouldn't be heading that far down the road.

Ullswater from Glenridding Dodd
On passing a row of old miners cottages, a path turned uphill towards the col which would take me to my first summit of the day & the year - Glenridding Dodd (1,450 ft). This was a relatively low fell, so there was no snow at this height, but the ground was still frozen (but not icy), and there was slight frost on the parts of the ground that was shadowed from the bright morning sunlight.
On reaching the summit, the landscape was covered in a lovely warm orange glow from the sun just rising up from behind the High Street range to the south east. I followed a path to a subsidiary summit, which had amazing views of the full length of Ullswater and Glenridding village directly below. Behind me though, the snow-topped mountains were calling.
Retracing my steps back part of the way, I reached the col, and followed the opposite easterly path onto the ridge of Sheffield Pike. This was a fun climb, as the path contoured & zig-zagged its way up the south-east ridge of the fell, with a couple of rocky scrambles thrown in for good measure.
As I gained altitude, I started seeing frost patches - the tell-tale sign I was beginning to reach the lower end of the snow-line. I eventually reached the top of the ridge, and could see the summit in the distance. There was very little wind, which was a blessing and meant it didn't feel as bitterly cold as my walk to Langdale the other week. It was still cold though - and the frost patches had now turned to snow.

Icicles
Underfoot, the snow covered grass was frozen and made a crunching noise as I walked over it. I passed a frozen tarn before making my final approach to the top of Sheffield Pike (2,215 ft).
The summit cairn was made up of the usual pile of stones - covered in think, wind-blown frost, but also had lying on it, what looked like the remains of an old boundary stone marker - as there was a rectangular stone with the etchings: H M, E R & the year 1830.
I'd brought along my Thermos of hot chocolate again, and took a few minutes to have a quick swig & take in the views before decending to the col between Sheffield Pike & on to the wide, snow covered flanks of Stybarrow Dodd.
The trek up the fell was quite arduous - the snow had covered the thick grass so it was a bit of a trudge to get up, especially as the path was indistinct in places. The route taken skirted above a couple of what I presumed were quarries - in fact, consulting my Wainwright guide revealed that these were actually the remains of collapsed mine shafts.
Eventually, a more substantial path emerged - and lead to the minor summit of Green Side. A couple of people had stopped for a break at the cairn, but i continued on along the path which, although think with snow was cleary defined and headed straight towards the top.

Frozen grass 'waves'
Every now and then I could hear a swooshing sound - thinking it was just a gust of wind hitting a part of the ridge, I continued upwards.
Nearing the top, the snow gave way to frozen, ice covered ground - the snow blown away by wind - the the grass had frozen into clumps which had been blown on their side to resemble frozen waves. It was a bit windier up here, and the few visitors to the summit cairn didn't hang around long. I reached the summit of Stybarrow Dodd (2,770 ft) and explored the views around this barren wind-swept summit.
The skies were clear blue with very little cloud, and the cold, clear air meant you could see quite a distance. To the north was Skiddaw & Blencathra, with Keswick below & both Derwentwater & Bassenthwaite Lake just sneaking into view, the high, snow capped, western fells were peaking over the central fells, but the view to the south was of my fourth and final peak of the day: Raise.
The path over the icy top lead to a slightly lower south western summit, where a large walking group had just arrived. The path turned south, and more or less as soon as the path dropped below the summit plateau the icy ground became snow-covered once more.

Skiing in the Lake District!
I heard the mysterious swooshing sound again, and spotted, on the north eastern slopes of Raise I made out a ski slope, complete with ski-lift - in the middle of the Lake District! There were quite a few people making the most of the conditions - snowboarding & skiing down the slope. It turns out this is the Lake District Ski Club (www.ldscsnowski.co.uk) which was founded back in 1936.
It continues to be run by its volunteer members, and basically consists of a garden shed which houses the ski-lift controls, and a slope marked by rickety wooden fencing. This ski slope is only for hardy skiers - with the direct route being least an hours trek from the Greenside Mine just outside Glenridding.
I continued along the path between Stybarrow Dodd and Raise, reaching the cross roads with 'Sticks Pass' which links the village of Stanah on the northern end of Thirlmere in the west, with Glenridding in the east. Continuing on the path towards Raise, I actually passed a chap on his ski's.
The path became steeper and rockier, but the snowy path - churned up by hundred of pairs of walking boots,was clear enough to follow. The summit cairn could actually be seen from the path, and in no time at all I reached the top.
The summit of Raise, at 2,897 feet, has great views over to Helvellyn and Catsyecam, and I could make out a few climbers tackling Swirral Edge. The view to the north was dominated by Stybarrow Dodd, but once again, a beautifully snow capped Skiddaw was in the distance. I took a quick break - finishing off my Hot Chocolate & having a quick bite to eat - including the last couple of pieces of Stollen cake that were left over from Christmas. The snow had again been replaced by icy ground, so I strapped on my ice spikes and followed the path along the large exposed summit plateau. Eventually it began to descend . I could see the path ahead of me, which continued to run along the ridge towards Helvellyn.
However, at a depression between the fells I took the turn off, following the wide Keppel Cove path which dropped down the side of Raise, back below the snow line.

Catstye Cam & Helvellyn
As the path descended, it became more substantial, turning into a wide gravelled track through the valley & down to Greenburn Mine. The old mine buildings had been refurbished into a Youth Hostel, Outdoors Centre, and holiday rental properties, and it was at this point that the first signs of civilisation was reached, and the track became a proper road. Eventually I passed some old terraced miners cottages - the ones I passed at the start of the day - meaning I wasn't that far away from the car park.
And that was my first hike of the year completed - 4 more fells done - bringing my total to 85 Wainwrights.
Mark

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ullswater Way

Western Lakeland Getaway - Part 4: Loweswater Gold

A Walk On The Wild(Life) Side - Part 1